My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Superhero Board Game

After breakfast today, Jack said he wanted to do art. Okay, I started to get the paper and crayons out and he said he wanted to make a game. I asked him what sort of game. He fist pumped the air and shouted a super hero game! (If you haven't noticed, we are really into super heroes here.) So, this is what I came up with. 



This is the gameboard. I used a piece of cardboard that was destined for the curb and a piece of white poster board. (Thanks, Aunt Shell for leaving us some leftovers.) I just went outside and used a spray adhesive to glue the white poster board to the cardboard.


Close-up Details of the Gameboard and pieces that go with it.



The picture at the end, is the purple Blob trying to overtake the city we live in. ;)



I found free printable mazes on-line and just resized them in powerpoint. I found some free images of Thor and Captain America and put them inside the maze. One of the task cards, tells Jack to help "free" the superheroes out of the maze. Since there are about a zillion and one free mazes online, I can always go and print new ones for the game. After watching Jack try to work on this maze, it will be really good for developing a better grip and pencil control.


We are using our superhero peg people to be our game pieces. :) See a previous blog if you want to see them again.


I wrote out the intro, object of the game, and rules on the back of the gameboard.
The into says, "Time to hero up! The city of Duluth is in trouble. The Blob is trying to overtake the city. Squadies, we need your help. Put on your cape or mask and get ready to go!"


Found some cool pictures of Ironman online and sized them on powerpoint. I wrote out these tasks on the back of them. If we land on a "hero up!" space on the gameboard, we choose one of the task cards to complete. We had fun completing the task together. I could only thing of eight this morning. I am sure I could whip up a few more later, after more coffee. I could have typed them, but to be faster for an eager 3 year old, I just scribbled them out.





(I know, sneaky Mommy, to add the toy cleaner-upper card.) We did this one and it was so funny. we were running around picking up stuff as fast as we could. Henry liked flying around the house with me too. :)





There are about a million free coloring pages online. I just picked a couple and again re-sized in powerpoint. 


This is mole man. I printed out a picture and stapled him to a paper towel rod. We used a soft indoor ball to "bowl" with down the hall.



Henry was rolling the ball too. :) Jack's favorite shirt has been this Halloween one. LOL



 Henry was playing with Superman, while we played on the floor. :) 




All done for now! I put the coloring pages, mazes, crayons, balls, dice, board, peg people, etc in a big bag for later. He wants to play when Daddy gets home. 

Honestly, I wasn't sure if this would really be a big hit, but it totally was. Very worth the effort to make. Took about 1 hour from start to finish to make. We played it for about 45-60 minutes and I ended the game as the little brother was ready to move on to something else. 

Materials:
Use what you've got.
I used, cardboard and poster board
markers
dice
computer images for superheros etc.
cardstock for printing task cards, pictures, mazes

The thing about this is you could easily do this for whatever your kiddo is into. Princesses, knights, pirates, etc. Google image is a quick way to get some ideas for your board.

1 comment: