My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Monday, February 4, 2013

Pinterest Fruit Snacks

Ok, so I was really excited about trying these. Jack loves fruit snacks, but I am not a fan of them. I think they are okay in moderation if you consider them a candy, which I do, but not as a "snack." So, the idea of making healthy fruit snacks out of real fruit, little added sugar, and in my own kitchen sounded awesome. Blah! I am so disappointed. I tried the recipe found at Crumbs and Chaos and followed it exactly. Well, I did strain the mixed berries through a mesh strainer so the fruit wouldn't be all seedy, but I followed everything else exactly. I used lemon juice as the recipe suggested. I should have used orange juice which was listed as an alternative in the recipe. The lemon juice totally overpowered everything else. It was way too sour. Jack and I both tried it, and we really couldn't even finish it. I gave us both permission to spit it out in the kitchen trash can! I am willing to try it again, but this time with orange juice. They did set up perfectly. They looked like fruit snacks and the consistency was close to the ones you get at the grocery store. They did work well in the silicon berry molds and popped out easily. If they had tasted right, I think they would have been a big hit. I will try it again with orange juice another time and hope they come out right. I'll let you know.




I found that if you use a small spoon to gently pour them into the mold it works better than pouring from the measuring cup. As you can see, it was a bit messy at first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment