My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Goodwill Hunting... for books!

Goodwill Hunting...for books! 

*My normal clause! Sorry for any errors or typos. I do these real quick-like while the kids are napping!!!


If you haven't been convinced to check-out your local Good Will store even after reading all of the DIY pinterest posts you have been pinning that turns some incredibly ugly old dresser into a "Potterybarnesque" armoire, maybe this will be another good reason to check it out. 


My friend, who does all the good money-saving, score-a-deal shopping with me gets the credit for tuning me into this outlet.... Good Will: They have books. Yeah! I mean they have the books you used to read when you are little and wish you still had, but you gnawed up the board book about 30 years ago, or your mom sold it in a garage sale, or you have red crayon drawings all over the copy you still do have. Anyhow, if you have kids, the nostalgia gets flowing a lot! If you are like me at all, you want to read to your kids a lot of what you read when you were a little tot. I mean if it was a great read 25 years ago, it's gotta be better than some of the Sponge Bob, Cars Toons, or other TV rubbish books that are all over now. (Yeah, I will admit that they have their place, especially if it is the only way a child will read... but that's another story.) They also have all the goodies and oldies that kids still read today like, The Berenstain Bears, Franklin, The Magic School Bus, etc.

What I have been particularly excited to find, were these little gems. Some of them you can still buy at the bookstore, but some of them are not in print anymore or are terribly expensive or hard to find.

Now, if you are cringing because of germs or that they are second-hand, then this is not for you, but you will have to pay big bucks for books at a bookstore. I just wipe them with Lysol and they're good.

Jack's books in slight disarray. Henry's got a shelf himself with more of the board books that Jack has outgrown. Although, occasionally, he still goes into Henry's room to pick out an oldie but a goodie. 
This was my Goodwill haul from today. I spend $8.00 and all of the books would be considered to be in excellent condition. There are no writing on them, no bent pages, and no tears. I found the Sesame Street Golden book and I nearly cried! I loved that book! It is too cute and Jack squealed the entire time I read it. It is too cute!

I LOVED this book when I was little! I had forgotten about this version until today. I do see that this version is still in print and about $4.50 at Walmart for the hardback. I paid $1.25.


Anyone remember these?

Love these books! I couldn't find, But No Elephants, but it is probably under a napping child's bed. It is a favorite around here. We think Grandma Tildy is funny. :)



So, just to illustrate how some of these books can be hard to find...I am sure you could try eBay too and find them. 


Henry's Awful Mistake by Robert Quakenbush: Amazon Price Wow!! Crazy! eBay price Holy Cow!
Milk and Cookies by Frank Asch: Amazon Price Wow!!
Blueberries for Sal is pretty readily available and can be bought as a paperback.
Hamilton Duck by Arthur Getz: Amazon Price
The Monster at the End of this BookAmazon Price Not bad! Only $8.99, but I did pay $1.25 for mine today. (But, it is available for a good price off Amazon if any of you LOVE this book like me and my kids do!)

But isn't shopping at Goodwill wrong?


I have heard people say that shopping at Goodwill is wrong because it takes away from those who are really needy. My finances aside... this is not true! Not even to the good folks of Goodwill. When you buy from Goodwill, you are making a donation to a good cause. Read from the Goodwill site for more information here. 


Other sources to score great deals on books!

1) Goodwill
2) Consignment Sales
3) Garage Sales
4) Public Libraries (every so often they sell older or slightly damaged books to make room for new books. Check out your local library for more info.)
5) Church Book Drives: A lot of churches including mine, (Saint Columba Episcopal Church) have book drives at local festivals or bazaars.
6) Used bookstores (In Johns Creek, try Read it Again, used book store.
7) Hand me downs!


1 comment:

  1. This brings back so many happy memories of all the free or dirt cheap books I scored for my kiddos. My two always loved those Berenstein Bears books and I liked reading them. There is one you have to get if you don't have it already, "Too Much Pressure." Mamma bear has a meltdown from driving the kids to all of their activities. We still talk about that book around here. I really think that book helped my kids to have more empathy for their poor mommy!

    ReplyDelete