My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Peg People Experiment: Pirate

Peg People!!!


I saw these on Pinterest and on some crafty websites and thought I could give it a shot too. I have been penned in this house with my sick babies for a week and was getting cabin fever. Instead of doing a ton of laundry like I should have been doing, I decided the cure to a wee bit of cabin fever was to make a pirate of course. The laundry will have to just pile up a little more. So, while Henry was taking a much needed rest after a good dose of antibiotics, and Jack was busy playing Curious George on the computer, I got busy. Oh yeah, but Doug was playing, I mean working, on his computer just in case the kiddos needed help while I was most definitely playing with this project.

First, I just used regular old acrylic paint. My Mom got me a huge 24 pack for Christmas and I was happy to get it out. You don't need anything else fancier.

I snuck out of the house for a bit on Saturday when I thought the kids were finally getting better. (Yeah, that was wishful thinking.) Anyhow, I escaped to Hobby Lobby and the Dollar Tree. I found an 8 pack of peg people for $3.99. I got them and managed to only spend $6.98 total in Hobby Lobby. (That's a first.) I also need a clear varnish or glossy coat, but didn't see it at first glance and just didn't have the patience or will to keep looking. I will go the next time I am out and about....

Here's what I made in basic steps.


First, lightly outline what you want to draw on your peg person. Then figure out the order in how you want to paint it. The paint dries in 15 minutes. I suggest at least two coats. Each part doesn't take too long, but there is a lot of wait time. (During the wait time, I should have done the laundry. I didn't.) 

You can sorta see the penciled in part in this picture. Looking cute, huh?

You can really see how small this little guy is compared to this little 4 oz paint bottle. He's so cute.

Looking good so far.

Almost done. I think he looks a little like Where's Waldo. He needs his swash buckle. I think a Where's Waldo could be cute though. :) 


Here's the final product without the gloss! I should have taken a picture of the back. His little red bandanna hat ties in the back. It is so cute!

I have 7 more pegs, so there will be a whole crew of friendly pirate for Jack to play with soon. I also bought a pretty awesome felt pouch on clearance at Hobby Lobby for them to be stored in. I'll take a picture of that with the rest of the pirates when I finish. 




No comments:

Post a Comment