My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Advent Calendars and Christmas Countdowns

It's almost December 1 and the first Sunday in the season of Advent is almost upon us. We have a beautiful advent wreath that we use during family dinners. Traditionally you use three purple candles, one pink candle, and a white center candle called the Christ candle.

This website does a good job of explaining it. Click here to read about the meanings of the candles. It is a wonderful tradition and a good way to prepare for the arrival of the Christ Child. 

Image taken from the Living Hope website linked above.


We don't have the purple and pink candles because I got about 28 white ones from Doug's grandparents. So, we use what we have and so can anyone else. Here are a few cute ones I have seen around that I may try someday for something new or in addition to mine. The one below would look pretty on a mantle or side table.

This is taken from here

Image taken and tutorial found on EAB Designs
Image taken from Hennymats

I think you could probably chose any tray, big bowl, a pretty charger, and add greens, favorite ornaments, rocks, shells, etc as a filler and add candles and make your own custom advent wreath. I have seen some advent wreaths where people have tied colored string around white candles to differentiate between the candles. You could always add numbers to the candles to mark weeks 1-4. Now, I got myself thinking....



I also want to have some activities for the kids. I want a mix of winter activities, Santa Claus anticipation, and  biblical tradition. 

Here are 24 ideas I have come up not in any order Let's see how many I actually get to!

1. Donate a new toy to Toys for Tots or any other similar group.
2. Go pick out a favorite Christmas book and snuggle with Mommy to read it together.
3. Write a letter to Santa Claus and mail it.
4. Make a paper plate wreath and explain the symbolic significance. Use the story I posted earlier for symbolic meaning.
5. Put on jammies and get in the car to go see Christmas lights in the neighborhoods.
6. Go to the Duluth Tree lighting and a family!
7. Set up the Little People Nativity set and act out the story.
8. Pick out some canned food to take to the local food bank.
9. Sing Christmas carols.
10. Watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas and drink green Grinch Punch.
11. Make paper chains that countdown to Christmas. You can add prayers for family, friends, and others who need them.
12. Make birds seed ornaments. See here for tutorial and recipe.
13. Read "Twas the Night before Christmas."
14. Go to the "Lights of Life" at Life University.
15. Decorate Christmas cookies.
16. Make an ornament for our Christmas tree.
17. Make a candy cane (on paper, with fruit, etc.) and explain the meaning of the Christmas candy cane.
18. Go to Advent evensong at Church.
19. Watch Charlie Brown's Christmas.
20. Make Christmas cards for family and friends.
21. Send a Christmas card to a soldier and thank them for their service.
22. Make an angel and talk about the good news she brought to the shepherds.
23. Have a sleepover with Mom Mom and Pop Pop
24. Have a Christmas Party (school party).

I have bought an over-the-door shoe organizer and see how I like it as a Children's Christmas countdown. I am still figuring out how to put numbers in front of the clear pockets.

I like the idea of this one. 

AdventCalendarShoeOrganizer
Taken from Creative Storage Ideas
I may change it and just put numbers on the outside of an envelope using colorful sharpies or fun paper and little gift boxes or small toys or candies wrapped in tissue paper. I'll post my version later. 

It sound's like the laundry timer just went off, so that's my cue! Bye!




No comments:

Post a Comment