My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring cleaning: The S#@ty fireplace

The Sooty Fireplace


When we moved in here, we thought there could have been a fire. There seemed to be so much soot on the fireplace and walls. We had a home inspector come in, of course, and he assured us that it wasn't smoke from a fire.However, it still looked like it. Get the idea, yet??? Well, we have been here for quite awhile and have done a ton of DIY projects, believe me, but since we have lived here I have finished a master's degree program, worked full-time, and have had two kids all with my husbands love and support. So, when some of my well-meaning relatives have asked if I have tried any cleaners on my sooty fireplace, I kinda shrug and hurriedly move on to another topic. Yes, it has not been the prettiest, but I sure don't have the coin it would take to get it commercially cleaned and haven't really wanted to spend the time I had off, scrubbing a fireplace...But, I kinda wish I had tried it before today.

It was pretty easy! Sure I can barely type now because my hand is so tired from scrubbing, but without spending any additional money, my fireplace hearth is pretty clean. No, it is not completely free from soot, but it is significantly cleaner and I would recommend this to anyone who was dying to spend a couple of hours cleaning, or have well-meaning relatives dropping hints.... ;)


Pretty significant difference I think, and it didn't cost me anything in extra materials. I had everything in my kitchen and garage.


Materials:

Dish soap
Kosher Salt
Wire brush (small one for cleaning grout and big one) I took the wire brush my hubbie uses for the grill.
Baster (the same one you use in the kitchen)
Water
Towels
a couple of rags

How I did it: 


I used dish soap (like Dawn) and Kosher salt and made a paste. It doesn't really matter how thick or thin. The salt is to help clean in the same way you might use an exfoliant on your face. Go ahead and spread it on the area that needs to be clean. Some of it will fall off, that's okay. Place a towel underneath to catch the mess. I used a dark beach towel.

Use your wire brushes to scrub the rock or bricks. Rinse with water. Use the baster to squirt it on. The towel will catch the water and soap/salt mixture. You will need to rinse/repeat scrubbing until you are satisfied. I probably did this for close to an hour. I went back and forth with the two sized brushes and rinsing/repeat combo. Wow! After the rocks dried, I could really see a difference. Hope this inspires you to try it on your sooty brick or stone hearth. :)


1 comment:

  1. I have never noticed the soot before, but it looks amazing now!

    ReplyDelete