My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Calzone

Wow! This was deeeelicious. You have to try making this. My husband got the idea of making this probably more than a year ago from a coworker. They had a potluck and she brought in "pizza bread." Her version had the regular marinara, cheesy goodness, and pepperoni.  When Doug tried to replicate the pizza bread about a year ago, it came out too doughy in the middle, but we still liked the concept. We just now tried it again, but buffalo style. I was inspired by this recipe on pinterest. It comes from Finding a New life Through Food blogsite. You should check out her original blog on her Buffalo Chicken Garbage Bread.

I had frozen shredded chicken in the freezer that I portion out an use in different recipes. This may not be the healthiest way to use shredded chicken, but it certainly may be the yummiest. Check out the original recipe for her cooking instructions etc. I include mine below.

We used:
Publix makes a great fresh pizza dough in whole wheat and regular. Doug told me he was secretly glad they had run out of whole wheat. (Yeah, right!)
Aldi makes a Light and Fit buffalo ranch dressing. So we used that as our sauce. Probably about 1/2 cup. You could make your own by mixing Franks Hot Sauce into light ranch dressing.
Shredded Chicken
Red Onions (sauteed first to make them nice and sweet)
Blue Cheese Crumbles 
Mozzarella Cheese
more Franks Hot Sauce
Olive Oil for brushing on top of Calzone

We pretty much followed all of the directions in the original reciped but adjusted the ingredients to what we have and what we liked. Personally, I wouldn't use cubed chicken, I think the shredded chicken works better in this application.

Follow directions on pizza dough package and spread out into a rectangle. Spread on buffalo ranch dressing. Don't spread it out all the way to the edges so you can close off the calzone.

Add the ingredients. When you are satisfied, just roll it up and tuck the ends under a bit. We poked a couple of small holes on top to allow the steam a place to vent. We found that the middle stays doughy when the oven temp is too high and it overcooks the rest of it. All ovens are different, mind you, but we tried 400 for 25 minutes. We checked on it at 15 minutes and then 10 minutes later. I cut into it and it seemed possibly doughy. I think it may have just been gooey goodness, but I lowered the oven to 375 for 5 more minutes. Then, took it out to rest so it wouldn't just ooze out all over the place.

Then, Doug and I devoured it. If you are very nice, we will make it for you sometime. ;)





The lighting wasn't that great in the living room, but if I asked Doug if I could take more pictures of this before he could eat it, I would have been in trouble. Trust me, the final product looks and tastes delicious too! 





No comments:

Post a Comment