My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

My two littlest boys: Jack and Henry

Monday, May 6, 2013

A Very Hungry Caterpillar Yard Art

After gathering a lot of ideas for the birthday party, I thought of this one. (Me, not pinterest!) I had remembered seeing cake and pie pans at Dollar Tree and came up with a yard-art project. I bought pie plates for the body and a cake pan for the head. I bought green spray paint on clearance at Joanne's and a can of red paint too. I already had lots of acrylic paint and used that to paint on any details I wanted. I used wooden dowels to stick them up. 





Pie plate prior to spray painting. Cost $1

This is how they looked after spray painting.

Mixed a couple of different shades of green together. Mix on foil for easy clean-up.



This is how it looked after I added the acrylic paint.


Eric Carle loves texture so I added a little too.

I added a bit of purple detail to look like the fuzz on his back. (Later on, my husband turned them around and said they looked like his feet. He was right.)

Here's how he is looking so far.

After this dries, go ahead and add the green part on his eyes and nose.

Here's how it turned out. 


*I know, it doesn't look that impressive. I was a bit disappointed too, but I think if it had not been raining sooooo hard, I would have been able to cut the dowels down a bit and have him "crawling" in the garden out front where guests would have walked by. Instead, I had to try to position him under the overhang/gutters. One of them snapped when I tried to stick it in the ground. :/ This was also taken three days later because it has been raining that much! I think it would have worked though!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment